RE: testing entries for a trend following system

Omega Man said -
> Dave,
>
> I hate to disagree with you because I like your
> name.

Sorry, but I'm not that crazy about your name Omega Man...

>But if you're wrong, you're wrong.  And
> you're wrong.  :-)

> This ATR exit is another LeBeau thing that makes
> no sense.  First, you say:  "Ok, I won't use a
> fixed stop or target since markets change over
> time..."  Then, you proceed to set a fixed number
> of ATR's for your stop/target!  Who says that
> swings in the S&P (or any other market) are still
> the same number of ATR's as they used to be?
> (They aren't - check into it.)

Now don't get excited, just pay attention :-)

In the first stage of system development I'm only interested
in answering my question, "What is the probability of this
entry signal making money" or, more specifically, "Does this
entry signal have a positive expectation of profit, and if
so, what is that expectation given a fixed ratio of risk to
reward?". I like this question because the answer will give
me a some numbers that mean something. And I can directly
compare these numbers to the numbers generated by testing
other entry signals.

Once I have selected an entry signal for testing the
simplest way to answer my question is to: 1) set a dollar
value for a money management stop, 2) set another dollar
value for a profit target, and 3) run the system and note
the percentage of winning trades. If I were building a
daytrading system and my test data only spanned the last
year or two then fixed dollar values for the mm stop (risk)
and profit target would probably be acceptable. But if I'm
running the test on long term data and the particular market
I'm running the test on has changed significantly over time,
as has the SP for example, then I need to take this into
account to arrive at a satisfactory conclusion. This is
where the ATR calculated exits come in.

To demonstrate, I ran the following simple test.