Re: simple

Joe Ross is a trader(been around a long time) who teaches techniques based
solely on chart action.  He actively discourages following indicators.

The "Ross Hook" is the core of his method, and is based on something like
what you are describing:  For example, a low is set (call it 1), followed by
a retracement to "2". then a down leg.  But the down-leg does not set a new
low.  The low of this down leg is "3".  If the next up-leg rises higher than
2, a trend is beginning, and the next swing-high of this up-leg is called
the Ross Hook.

Ross's main technique is to trade after the "3" described above, as the bars
start making higher highs, and also after the next low following the Ross
Hook, after the bars make higher highs.

Short trades are inverted.

                    I                                           Rh
                    I        I                                   I
                             I                 2                I
                             I                 I                 X
I            I
                                      I        I         I        I
I            I
                                      I        I         I        I
                                      I                 3
                                      1

In the above example (hopefully the email does not mess up the format!) the
first possible entry is at X, which takes out the high of the previous
retracement bar.  Rh is the Ross Hook.  The next entry is at Y, which takes
out the high of the previous retracement bar, approaching the Ross Hook.
And so on.  he theory is that entering slightly ahead of the previous swing
high allows some margin in case the move over the "3" or the Rh is only
market makers gunning the stops.  If th move to "3" or Rh is valid, you are
in early for the breakout and trend continuation.  The Y entry is stronger
than the X entry as the trend is more confirmed (in theory!!).

There are many more details and patterns, which is how Ross fills many
books; but the pattern above is the essence of it.  The chosen bar length is
anything above the threshold at which the stock/future has enough trading to
make decent patterns.

Basically puts a structure to that which you are approximately describing,
and that which most tape-reader type traders learn over time.

I hope this helps???

Dave Johnson