RE: Defragging Win NT (Was: How to get TS2k to run well (was 2K

  • To: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: Defragging Win NT (Was: How to get TS2k to run well (was 2K
  • From: "Monte C. Smith" <montecs@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 13:08:51 -0700

If a disk defragger is used too often (fuzzy term i know) it defeats the
purpose of the defragger. The two main reasons to defragment files on a
disk are 1) to decrease the time it takes to read the file, and 2) to
reduce wear on the drive mechanism. Regarding the first consideration,if
there is a great deal (another fuzzy term) of file fragmentation, you
will notice slower file read times, but there will be no noticeable
difference when your drive is 95% unfragmented. Regarding the second
consideration, if a file is comprised of 10 clusters, all of which are
separated on the disk, the read heads have to be physically moved at
least 10 times to read the whole file, creating wear. But defragging is
itself a very disk-intensive operation, typically moving the heads
hundreds of times,creating even more wear than the reading of a few
fragmented files would cause. (To say nothing of the way Win9x RE-FRAGS
your disk for faster loading of programs on startup).But if defragging
your disk every night helps you sleep better, I guess it's worth it.

Monte