Re: LCD monitors

I think the problem with fluorescent lights is that their flicker rate (60 Hz)
beats with the scan rate of the monitor.  Depending on the monitor setting,
this can cause considerable subliminal strain.

The higher the refresh rate of the monitor, the lower the strain.  I can start
to notice problems below 85 Hz.  60 Hz causes me sever strain nearly
instantly.  High fresh rates also required a fast video card, with sufficient
video RAM.

Also, video cards vary in how quickly they can cycle from 0 to 1, and so how
sharp pixel transitions are.  This can have a dramatic effect on perceived
monitor clarity.

A video card with 8--16 MB of video RAM, fast graphic processor and a low dot
pitch Trinitron monitor is likely to be far superior to LCD displays for
several years at least.

Dan