Data conversion and merging

I have a question for some data conversion expert out there .  I have been
following this list for a couple of years and have seen very little
addressing data build cleaning and general management.

PROBLEM:

I have several historical data base formats from 1970 to current date 1999.
 This data covers stocks, commodities, mutual funds, and indexes .  The
data is EOD.  I also, have tick data on all
but only several yeas back.

  The list of data vendors are prophet, momentum, metastock, dial
data,quotes plus, tc2000, supercharts omega, omz tradestation, metastock ,
csi and windows on wall street.  Some of this data is very clean while some
is fair and some is pretty dirty.

I am currently trying  to set up three different data bases in  formats of
ascii , omz, and metastock  going back  to 1970.  I am using the variety of
sources an selecting the cleanest data and converting them to these three
formats.

The problem I am having is with the metastock  data base!

Metastock has went to a new format with only the dat. file and the old
format uses the dat and the dop file.  I am setting up everything to the
old format because some of my programs read only the old format an the old
format works in all of my programs ; it just takes up a lot more drive
space.

The problems is converting and merging the data .  I am using quotes plus
data converter utility and the metastock  downloader.  The main problem is
in merging the data .  The data supplied by the various vendors have
different directory formats ; some use 250 file size directories and the
new formats put them in categories (stocks, commodities, etc) of several
thousand file size and some use a  alphabet format.  When using the
Metastock downloader merging  seems to be too much for the utility even if
you set the directories up in a directory format that should accommodate
all formats.

My question is this.   Is there any other conversion and merging utilities
in circulation that can work through all of these variables ,or is what I
have, is what there is?

Jim Lancaster