Re: Username and password request

  • To: gtm@xxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Username and password request
  • From: Jim Osborn <jimo@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 12:00:08 -0500 (EST)

Ken asked this privately, but perhaps others are new to the
joys of anonymous ftp. Here's how it works: (I suppose some
of the ftp clients may provide the usrname/passwd automatically,
thus hiding those details from you)

The "standard" username is "anonymous" but I've never used a
system that wouldn't also accept "ftp" as a username, and it's
a lot easier to type.

The standard password is your full email address, in my case
it'd be "jimo@xxxxxxxxxx" but again, I've never used a system
that wouldn't accept simply "jimo@" because it knows where
you're connecting from anyway.

Some clients may not be able to jump directly to the file I
posted the reference to, but instead may have to enter at the
top level.  In that case, you simply change directory, using
the "cd" command, to /u/j/jimo, and then use the "get" command
to fetch the file.  Since a jpg (or a gif) image file is binary,
you'll also want to transfer in binary mode, by giving the
"binary" command before doing your transfer.  A second binary
command switches back to ascii mode, for text-file transfers.

--
jimo@xxxxxxxxxx
maintainer of the omega list