Re: DISPLACED MOVING AVERAGES?

At 08:57 AM 1/16/99 -0800, tj wrote:
>well, joe ross for one. his favorite for determining the trend is the
>3X3 (trading is a business, 1991). problem is, the markets, and
>especially the s&p (his favorite), have changed so much that most of
>his stuff is obsolete. i agree with dennis on this one, in that i
>don't have much use for displaced ma's anymore.
>
>can't say much 'bout dinapoli, other than ross said (in the newsgroups
>and personal email) that dinapoli stole most of his fib and displaced
>ma stuff. i need to read dinapoli's book to see who's the liar. i know
>that there's bad blood between em. i think that most of em steal from
>one other, similar to system vendors, adding a minor "twist" here and
>there so they can't get caught. precious little is new under the
>trading sun.
>
>TJ
>
>truth is, most are snakes, intentional or not, so watch where ya tread
>;)
>
>---Neal wrote:
>I'm interested to know which "latter day gurus" use the displaced moving
>averages.

Hi TJ,

I've known about the "bad blood", but each time I ask DiNapoli
about it, he's polite, not wanting to dig up dirt from the
past.

I discussed your email above with DiNapoli, and have written
his perspective below, a summary of that discussion.

Dinapoli has researched DMA'S since the early 80's and can prove it thru
publications and speaking events (Futures Symposium International) dating
back to 1986-- He created and sold a software package that displaced moving
averages before Metastock did or Futures Source did. In fact it was a result
of his speaking events that Futures Source offered DMA's back in 1988.  I've
not seen what Ross can show to substantiate any development work on DMA's.

I've attended several of Joe's private and public seminars, when asked he
does give credit that he learned of Displaced Moving Averages from a trader
who exposed Joe to the idea. That trader (I don't know his/her name) did
not give Joe the specific displacement/formula. So after much research and
testing in the markets Joe arrived at his own preferred displacement/smoothing
parameters.

I know Joe very well, he is certainly not a snake, but I understand your
comment (above). There are many people who take advantage of traders.

DiNapoli has demonstrated his sincerity to me many times, he has built a
reputation on dealing with clients honestly. He has no problem telling
(experienced or new) traders the blunt truth. Whether they like what they
hear or not.

Based on what I know about him, no one would take seriously
the idea that DiNapoli "stole" Fibonacci stuff from anyone much less
Ross!

Thanks for the info, it's been an interesting diversion. I use Displaced
Moving Averages, so this topic is very interesting to me.

-Neal.

Neal on the 'net.
Trade well. Train hard.
http://www.halcyon.com/neal/