Re: Computer Hardware

A few comments: The newer machines do just about everything faster than the
machines of a couple years ago. Ultra DMA disk drives, higher speed
motherboard buses, etc. make my new 266mhz almost twice as fast as my older
200mhz. Also be sure to check how much memory is cacheable. Having more than
the cacheable limit results in a performance hit up to 5% unless you really
load up the memory. A lot of older PC's only cache 64 megs. Lastly, about
Matrox, they are supposed to be very nice if they work. But if you have
problems, support is a huge pain. It's a toll call to Canada with on-hold
times of 30 minutes or more, and they are very unresponsive to email. The
warranty is basically worthless, as the costs of actually contacting them for
repair or replacement could well pay for another card from a competitor.