Re: Excel question

At 11:12 AM 1/5/99 -0500, Peter Iovanella wrote:
>Hi -
>Yet another Excel question ;) - is there any way to manipulate time so it
>can be used as a simple number?  For example, how would I take "25 minutes"
>(0:25) and change it to simply "25" for use in a formula?  What I'm trying
>to do is rank how efficient my exits are, the idea being to watch the market
>for up to an hour after I exit a day trade to see how much further in my
>favor/against me the market moves, and at what time it makes it's most
>favorable move after I get out.  I want to compute a score based on this,
>incorporating how much more time I should have held on as a negative impact
>on my score.  I'm sure it's some simple routine, but I haven't been able to
>figure it out from the online help and lack a manual, so if anyone can help
>me out, I'd really appreciate it.  Thanks!
>
>Peter

You have a number of choices.  SECOND() will convert time into a sequential
number. Date/Time is held internally in floating point format and there are
a variety of functions that can be used for conversion. Look up 'time' in
the help index, then time functions.

Allan

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams