Year End Performance Evaluation (Adds More Ideas ...)

  • To: Bill Vedder <bved01@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Year End Performance Evaluation (Adds More Ideas ...)
  • From: Kenlow7@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 08:55:49 -0500 (EST)

Bill,

I would add the following ideas to your note.   These are some
other questions I have asked myself in re-working my strategies
for 1999.   The are more general in nature, but I think they are
just as important:

1.   What is the right number of systems to trade?   Too few
      means not diversified enough, too many means I might not
      execute them as well.
2.   How was my execution percentage in 1998?   Did I take 100%
      of my signals?   How did I feel when I overrode a signal (either
      intentionally or inadvertently)?   (I needed to review my daily
      trading notes for this)   Did the % I did NOT follow a system
      add value or not?
3.   How did multiple systems on the same market smooth out my
      equity curve on that market?   How did multiple systems on
      separate markets smooth out my overall return?   (This is
      one of the most important factors for me, since I personally
      have a bias to give up some total return for a smoother equity
      curve across my total P&L, since it keeps me more emotionally
      stable...)
4.   How did the total return on my trading compare to the same
      strategies for the five individual years from 1993-1997?   What
      changed in the markets in 1998 to make last year's return
      vary from the previous 5-year trend?   What does that mean
      for 1999 - what should I consider changing?
5.   How did my monthly returns correlate to the S&P500?   Did I
      outperform more on months when the S&P was down or up?

Good trading,

Ken Low