Omega Tradestation CPU usage

It took some time but I finally got my computer running with Tradestation.

I recently replaced a Shuttle Hot 569 socket motherboard with a Tyan 1590s
super 7 motherboard. I also replaced the Pentium 233 MMx chip with a AMD
K6-2 350 chip as well.

The 1590s offers the ability to monitor temperature and fans.  I monitored
this for the first time knowing the AMD chips have the reputation of
running hotter.  The range for the AMD chip is 0 -70 degrees Celcius.   I
also put a huge heat sink with a real good fan.

Running Windows 95 with Tradstation 4.21 the temperature was a frightening
81. I began looking for ways to reduce this and started searching the net.
I found a few sites that were particularly helpful.

http://www.megsinet.net/~jcorwith/ultimate/
This was my first effort -- where I bought my ultimate heat sink(no longer
available).
Here, it was indicated how much of an improvement adding thermal grease
between the heat sink and the CPU.
I applied the grease.  The temperature dropped from 81 to 66 -- better but
still not really acceptable for the long term.

http://www.benchtest.com/way2cool3.html
Benchtest is a particularly good site since he has a project using my case
a AWIN 500 although I have a full tower.
Here, I learned that reversing the power supply fan of an ATX power supply
can be very helpful in reducing heat.  This was particularly true in my
case since I was using an AT style Motherboard with the CPU at the bottom
of the case. Since heat rises,  It is better that the power supply fan blow
air out rather than in and take  advantage of the normal convection of hot
air. (This is even more true if you have a fan at the bottom of the case
blowing air in.)  If I were using an ATX style board where the CPU is right
next to the Power supply fan the answer would be different.

This dropped the  temp about four degrees to 61.

Having been a subscriber of the Omega list I was aware of the many bugs
that are in the server.  One little trick to reduce the 100% utilization of
the server I opened the portfolio window [F2] of the server and left it
open.  The temperature dropped to 47 - 51 degrees!  Truly amazing and a
testament on how poorly written software can really wear out hardware.

http://www.isjm.com/tst/heatsink/index.html
The Heatsink Guide is an excellent resource and gives a lot of useful
information on what type of fans and sinks to buy.
I might just put that fan in the front of the case yet but  I will have to
investigate this further.

http://www.stud.uni-hannover.de/~goetz/index.html#download
This is the CPU idle program.  It reduces the temp of the CPU incredibly.
This program send hlt commands that reduce the load of the program when
running under Windows.  Not sure how it works entirely but it reduced the
temp to about 32 degree.

Well that is it.  Speeling and grammar extra.

Merry Christmas!

Charles Kaucher
of Ipswich, MA.    http://www.ipswichma.com

 When two antelopes are fighting and a lion approaches, the antelopes run
together (forgetting their quarrel).       -- African Proverb