Re: Viability of Internet RT feed

he is stating below that the satellite is more dependable however it is
SLOWER.

>>However satellite is more dependable it is slower sometimes as much as 30
seconds, usually 10 to 20 seconds on indices, and index options.

again below he is stating that the DTN feed is slower even though it is
satellite.

>>Support from DTN is excellent and they have fixed a serious problem they
had with the Index Options, being slow and missing Bid Ask quotes, they
still get a little behind at the open but I never put on a trade at the
open, anyway.

i believe there is a valid argument for internet data feed, it is not all
that bad such as you have indicated below.   the data is minimal that is
sent and the amount of historical data available should have no limit even
though there is one at present.

>The first problem is the vendor decides how much history to maintain - both
daily and
>intraday ticks, and you have no control over the data quality.   Typically
the vendor
>maintains about 20 days of tick data - which is trivial compared to what
many of us have
>saved in
>T/S.

what if this could be conquered?  would that be a benefit?

>The second problem is the internet can be delayed by a couple of seconds
easily, as you
>pointed out, so BMI satellite or cable will be at least as fast as the
internet and most
>likely much faster.

i would argue this case i have both and the service on any sat is not what
it use to be.

>The third problem is you are restricted to the vendor's application to run
on your
>computer.   A while ago both S&P Comtstock and PCQuote used Townsend's
Analytic's TAL,
>which is a trivial application compared to TradeStation.

what if you had an application that was much better than TS?

>Overall, given the cost of the internet service is often quite high, cable
or satellite is
>VASTLY superior.   However a Server like T/S's requires considerably more
database
>maintenance - adding new symbols, changing symbol parameters etc.

think of this no data base maintenance full power to do the studies you
want.  full historical data base available, multi os platform capable ect.
ect.?    what then?   mb