Re: EasyButNotDocumentedLanguage

Pierre,

I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

> We do not leave in a world where all is perfect.
> If you believe this, or if you believe that it should be like this, you have
> a lot to learn on human psychology.
> EL manuals are what they are, better than nothing .
> They do not replace your brain in any case

Perhaps I do have a lot to learn.  In terms of idealism, I remain about
20 yrs. old.  You seem to have inferred that I am ungrateful for all
that Omega supplies.  You are correct.  I know that nothing worthwhile
is easy, but that is a misleading argument.  My assertion was that Omega
produced a poor manual.  The imperfect world argument doesn't address
this.  An imperfect world argument also doesn't excuse OmegaResearch
from making claims that aren't true, even if you believe that the
deception should be obvious.

> But believe me or not, solving this by experience is more rewarding for your
> programming ability than reading it in the manual.
> We must suffer to succeed.
> This is a general rule.
> Easy Language name is misleading you.
> It's easy for easy things.

Reasoning like this, extended, suggests that not having a manual at all
would be even better, since that would increase the suffering, and
hence, the intrinsic reward.  It could have been called
DifficultButRewardingAfterSufferingLanguage, but that lacks the ol'
marketing zip, doesn't it?

> The pop up message that appears whe, MBB is not enough is more effective than
> a  bold warning buried in the  manual.

Perhaps that's the problem, I've not had that pop up message occur!

> Your example is wrong with Xaverages , because they need MBB set to 1, and the
> combination is independent for the lookback period.
> This could have been true in your example with Average, but not Xaverage.

I stand corrected.  What page do I find this on?

> MBB set large does not produce intinsic different results.
> It only differ the starting value of the calculation to some bar further.

That's what I thought but I did have trouble with inconsistent results
on the same data, and EasyLanguage support told me that about MBB too
large when I called.  What am I to make of that?

> Yes, because it's the most frequent error.

And precisely why I chose this as an one example of how the manual is
deficient.

> The manual as existing now, is not so bad when considering the economic
> situation in this narrow market.
> It could have been worse than now .
> Omega should have to write a 3500 page manual, and I'm sure that most of you
> would never read it before using the software.

Rather than argue the manual point by point, let me rephrase my argument
to you since you responded.  You mention that you taught physics and
chemistry.  Given your teaching background combined with your
considerable knowledge of TS, would you be capable of designing a manual
that does a better job of teaching new (and other) users about TS than
the one supplied by Omega, if it were in your best interests to do so?
I'm assuming (naively?) that OmegaResearch and you follow the principle
that if it is worth doing at all, then it should be done to the best of
your ability.

~Alan