Re: systems versus discretionary traders

Nice post Neil you just did a good job of describing a discretionary trader
such as myself.
I think Martin is correct with this particular post as Demark does not
cater to the discretionary trader but rather has a scientific approach to
the market according to his ads. Being scientific it has to be be proven
statically to have validity. I believe it can only be presented with
constantly adding rules and ever changing expected percentile results from
each rule. You would need to do this to confiscate for the ever changing
volatility, momentum and liquidity of the market your trading. Unless the
rules could be programmed with different switches the complexity would not
be worth it. Markets like simplicity not complexity unless the computer
does make it simple for you then maybe after back testing those results.
Also time, the market that is traded and the risk reward would have a major
impact on the above results. I go through something like this in my mind
based on 20 years experience but I don't believe it can be programmed maybe
I'm wrong. People say it can be programmed if I can think it. Expressing it
has been very difficult for me and I think impossible. Because of this I
remain happy to be discretionary with decision making in the markets.
Anyways I use fundamentals to so that renders me no other choice. I have
benefited from plain TA though and its a valuable tool of trading for me as
well. But your point is shared by me there is no one way to trade only
thing that matters is the score card of money. My mentor never looked a
chart as far as I know just watched the tape and made millions and walked
away with the millions.

Robert