Re: Sirens in the S&P Pit

Dear Alan, Jay, & Group,

Alan is right - the sirens sound every 15 minutes.  The sirens remind the
floor traders that their filled order cards have to be submitted every 15
minutes to the exchange for clearing --- it prevents the floor from keeping
those cards until the end of the day, and therefore reduces the possibility
of mischief in terms of "readjusting" the times, prices, and #contracts upon
hindsight.

The only other exchange-made sounds that I am familiar with are the bells
(gongs).  As I recall, an official rings the gong once one-minute before any
close, once 30 seconds before the close, 15 seconds ..., 5 seconds ..., and
at the close they ring it repeatedly.  This can be a litle disconcerting to
an SP trader during the close of the meats and the currencies.

Sincerely,

Richard