Re: Daytrading article in WSJ

Hmmmmm,

A few items on the comments below:

In the case of those traders who don't believe fills
matter, fills in a retail division versus fills in
a professional division are *not* the same. This is
because the best floor brokers are used for the
professional services. This easily saves a tick in
and a tick out in both futures and options. (Sometimes
more.)

I carry two accounts. One with a professional division
and one with another IB and clearing house through
what might be considered the retail division. I use
the retail account to test systems so I can see how
they will do in a hostile environment. :)

Here is an interesting note. At one time i was
carrying the same set-up. One retail account and
one professional account. BOTH USED THE SAME
CLEARING HOUSE. Though the professional service
had a base fee that was two dollars more, they
consistently got me 1 tick in and 1 tick out.
The retail service NEVER got better than the
market price.

How do you know if you have a good floor
presence working in your favor? If you
NEVER get better than the market, you
are consistently filled at the worst
possible price your order allows, and
you never get disputed fills arbitrated in your
favor, you are dealing with a retail dog and
you need to move. If you are
consistently filled 1 tick better than the
market, often get better fills than the worst fill
that your order allows, and have a trading desk
that fights tooth and nail for a disputed fill
to go in your favor, then that extra two or
three bucks in base fee is well worth it.

Currently, the retail guys run $14 per round turn.
The Pro guys run $16 per round turn.

So, yes you can get superior service at discount rates.
Remember that fills are *not* the same accross the board.

Walt Downs
CIS Trading