RE: Daytrading article in WSJ

"Beware of very low commissions....the FILL is the most
important part"

The age old argument by brokers who want to sell you a Saturn for the price
of a Lexus.  A few years ago when commission rates in the stock market
started to fall, the standard rebuttal from those who had a vested interest
in seeing the status quo maintained, was "yeah, but you'd better watch out
for those fills from the discounts."  The argument was compelling -- even
though you couldn't really verify it without a lot of work -- at first but
over the years has worn pretty thin lately.   Arguments like this just fall
on deaf ears now as people realize that it doesn't really make a difference.
The same is true in futures with the trend in rates and quality of service
headed the same way.

Even if this argument were true, there are problems with it.

First, there's really no way for me to verify that I am in fact getting
consistently better fills from the more expensive broker than I would from
less expensive one.  If I do pay more than I'd better make damn sure that I
am CONSISTENTLY getting bad fills because I sure as hell know that I'm
CONSISTENTLY paying more.

Second, slippage is slippage and you pay it when placing your order at the
market or at limit.  You really have no control over this.  But you do have
control over when you place your order and you don't need an expensive
broker to do this for you.  Lots of good traders out there aren't giong to
quibble over a few ticks occasionally anyway.

Third, there's way more introducing brokers out there than there are brokers
on the floor (actually executing the trade).  Odds are the expensive brokers
are using the same ones as the discount brokers in many cases.

Good brokers can justify a higher price but not for this reason.  I'd pay
more for a broker that gave me good service (fill reports, email statements,
good complimentary analysis, defense when problems do arise, etc.) than I
would for a broker that simply promised me better fills.

All traders owe it to themselves to minimize commissions.  If you are paying
more than $25-45/rt (which I consider to be high) make sure that you're
getting something more tangible than just a lick and promise from your
broker that their fills are superior.

Brian