Re: Daytrading article in WSJ

Hey Scott

Gotta agree with you on how critical transaction costs are to successful
DAYTRADING.  I have been daytrading for about 2 months, and am finding
that even though my gross p/l is positive, when commission is taken into
account the business becomes marginal.

A while ago, it was mentioned here that the 90%losers/10%winners rule
came about from some study at a brokerage house.  In it they mentioned
that although gross of transaction costs the accounts made money, after
adding in commission, the profits were swamped and most (90%) LOST
MONEY.

In daytrading, this is gonna apply even more - that's why I am trying to
get on the floor of an exchange where I pay a clearing fee of about $2,
and no commish c.f. a retail rate of $20-$30 a round turn.

I believe in the long run $20 commish is unsustainable for most people
trying to daytrade and pick the bones out of smaller price swings
intraday, assuming you are reasonably active.  (And I haven't even
mentioned slippage yet . . .)

>From where I am standing, the only group getting rich from daytrading
are the brokers.

If you want to daytrade for a living and to give yourself the best
chance of success then you must,

GET YOUR TRANSACTION COSTS AS LOW AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN . . .

(Alternatively, ask yourself at what commission rate would your
daytrading business stop becoming marginal.  If you cannot get such a
low commission rate from your broker then don't daytrade!)

Penny-wise (hopefully pound-wise too ;-) Pete