A Modest Proposal

Ladies and Gentlemen:

Look how much fun we have when someone’s friend of 19 years (who
happened to be a dog) dies. Could not imagine what fun we all would have
if someone wife, the only son or daughter dies...

Even if Mr. Mark Brown is right, and this is a new wave in advertising
to push the products by reporting the death of the dear one to break our
hearts first with hope to break into our wallets later, would we all be
better off at least ignoring that letter of Mr. Bill Eykyn to his
daughter?

Dear Sheriff, did I understand you correctly, that a contribution to
this list entitles to insulting letters using foul language? Could you,
please, post a schedule that for so many lines of code posted one could
insult someone’s daughter, for so many lines - his wife, and for so many
lines - his mother ... Writing to daughters, one need not to use
restrain on foul language as they going to be expose to it in
kindergartens, schools, collages, and universities.

In my opinion (if I am wrong it is not the first time), the strength of
our omega-list society is in the members, who may or may not write to
the list daily, but being the experts in their respective field could
offer a help to fellow trader and make his (her) difficult life slightly
easier, saving the time for the research, offering sound advice, or
simple a "moral" support.

Is a reading of the objectionable letter with f... language a price one
has to pay for belonging to this list?

If  "driving bad vendors out" is necessary for the surviving of this
list could we find more civilized way to do it instead pushing them out
by disgusts? I am sure we could find the way if we give it some
thoughts. Here is my modest proposal:

If one member of the list wishes to exclude the other member from the
list he (she) should write the sheriff a private letter demanding so
(for whatever reason). If sheriff receives so many letters he should put
the meter for a vote. Then majority rules.

Very truly yours,

Alex Levitin.