Re: ATR Indicator

John,

To me one of the best use's of ATR is in the calculation of the Keltner
Bands  (see Oct issue of ADTrading at www.adtrading.com).   The breakout
strategy that Tim referred to was central to Keltners original work on
bands.  (His book is out of print I believe so I am basing my comment on
second hand information).  ATR gives a better (and more stable) handle on
where short or longer term extremes can be expected than say standard
deviation.    A number of the points that Tim brought up can be illustrated
by applying Keltner channels to the price action.  For example Mark Browns
comment that price can move more violently as a move ages could be seen
with a spike outside the Keltner which I will often use as an exit (or
"watch out!") signal.  Also I concur with Tim's point that ATR does not
change much with trend age or direction which is why I use them as the most
"stable" bands in my trading as compared to say Bollingers which I find far
too erratic to give me much insight.

BTW Gerbers Apricot is still going strong.  My daughter would eat  the
stuff by the bucket if the bucket was not bigger then she is!!  Personally
I recommend the Chiquita banana.

regards

Philip

P.s. I should mention that I also use it as a measure of volatility and
risk in day trading the S&P.   The 20 bar average ATR is a good indicator
to gauge whether a target is realistically going to be achieved and perhaps
more importantly whether the distance to the stop is more risk than you
should be taking under current market conditions.