Re: Sort of off topic(LCTM)

  • To: "Jim McConnon" <mking@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Sort of off topic(LCTM)
  • From: Stewart Taylor <staylor@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 11:53:15 -0400 (EDT)

Oh Yeah,

I remember that one with a distinct lack of fondness.  I was just starting
to hedge mortgage pipes with treasury futures and options.  I learned all
about basis risk in 1985.  But, even at that tender stage in my career, I
was smart/lucky enough to recognize reasonably early in the game that it
weren't a workin (particularly when loans began to fall out of the pipes at
an unearthly pace).

I have to wonder how some of the accounts have let themselves get as jammed
up as they are (being on the wrong side of the basis).

Just talked to a Mortgage banker who had been hedging his servicing with
bond calls.  Home run trade. He (I think mostly by accident) ended up on
the right side of the spread but has yet to take his money out (a profit
isn't a profit until you take it).  I have to wonder how much he will give
back, particularly now the spread is so far out of balance the other way.

See ya.
Stewart.