Alternative Development

was: Re: TS5 Press Release

"Brian Massey" <bnm03@xxxxxxx> writes:
>My friend, you don't have a clue what it takes to produce good, commercial
>level software these days.  In your transition from hardware guru to trader
>you've lost touch with what it takes to write broad-scale commercial
>software these days.
>
>Andy is 100% correct.  Go out an assemble your software team (C++/Windows
>coders only please), spend the $100,000's dollars required to build this
>grade of software in a reasonable amount of time.

The reason Linux has been successful, to the point where it now
represents a credible alternative to Windows NT, is its open-source
development model.  With hundreds or thousands of volunteer developers,
who are working mostly for the respect of their peers, rather than to
satisfy a marketing committee, the cost model is different from what
Brian is describing, bugs are unearthed early by teams of eager tester/
developers, and fixed almost immediately.  It's a whole different
world from the MicroSoft model, and probably represents the only way
to produce complex, reliable software - massive peer review.

The question for us is, could this open-source development model work
to create a trading platform?  I'd like to think so, mostly because
I'd like to use such a platform, and I sort of doubt that I have time
to do it all myself.  But I'm skeptical that there's a critical mass
of traders who are also programmers, and are also willing to share
the fruits of their programming in a collaborative effort.  Maybe,
but the response here on this list to my troll for a server specification
was a bit underwhelming. :)

Another problem I can imagine is with the data vendors.  Even if
a data vendor is willing to disclose details to allow server development,
is that vendor going to choke at the idea of that information being
used in open-source development?

For now, our best prospects seem to be Bob Brickey's TradeLab effort.
It's not open source, but it is by a small team led by a guy who
knows what the words "mission critical" mean, and who has demonstrated
a willingness and ability to do what his customers want.  Now if we
could just convince him to port it to Linux, we'd have a real mission-
critical OS under it.

Jim