Re: LTCM - The spread trade that blew up!

Tim,

What you said about agreements a bank would sign when depositing
investment capital in a fund such as LTCM makes a lot of sense.

However, the WSJ reported last Monday that two-thirds of the $685.9
million charge that UBS booked (roughly $457M) "was attributable to an
equity warrent the bank sold that effectively enabled the partners to
turn $250 million of their capital into $750 million of equity.  That
$750 million represented about half of Long Term Capital's employee's
equity in the fund at the start of the year".

If I am interperting this correctly (and I'm not at all sure I am): that
the transaction was between UBS and LTCM "employees"...not directly
between UBS and LTCM,  would this then imply that UBS would *not* have
had to sign the type of agreement which you mentioned below?

Must I give up my Warm Fuzzy feelings thanks to a ruse on the part of
UBS and LTCM "employees"; heralding a return of the Grey Poupon Gang???

Dave