Re: Server Specification

Jim,

I have looked at the server issue for a long time and my conclusions
were not very promising.

My specifications were:

1. Should store all symbols simultanously
2. Should provide real-time and historical data.
3. Should be accessible over a network
4. Should run on NT or Unix
5. Should have open interfaces
6. Should allow several data sources even home-brew
7. Should be able to cache symbols, which are not stored in realtime.
8. Should be cheap

This does not exist on the market.

The server market for small trading operations is small. However
numerous attempts have been made to produce servers for bank
enviroments. The most prominent propably beeing FAME which comes at
huge costs.

When we come to the low end we have there Townsend Analytics and the
UMDS which are open solutions. The Townsend servers run numerous
webservers like PCQuote, Reuters, SP comstock. This is because the
Townsend server is designed to run in a network. Furthermore it
provides authorization mechanisms for the data access. The Townsend
server can only be leased which is not so expensive.

The UMDS seems to be good in general but with the problems you
described.

If you are looking for an UNIX based solution then you can either use
standard SQL databases - however I doubt that they can handle huge
amounts of symbols. The other solution is to get one of the
"professional servers" and try to compile them on the Linux. I could
imagine that LMT-expo could provide you with such a solution.

However you will propably have to write the interfaces by yourself.

For a no-hassle-solution one should look seriously at townsend
because their servers are reliable, open, well documented and
relatively cheap. Furthermore I find NT to be quite stable as
long as one does not overload the machine.

Gerrit