Re: Extend Plot to the Right

Dr. John F. Clayburg wrote:

> It seems that some time ago there was a brief discussion on this list of
> how one would go about plotting an indicator which would extend past the
> price bars on the right of the chart.
>
> I recently had someone ask me if this could be done. If anyone recalls
> this discussion or has a solution I'll pass it along.
---------------------------

Here's one way of doing it that I have posted in the past. Warning -
this is a very convoluted technique - but it works!

It involves advancing your system clock, which in itself might open up
a can of worms for people.  Doing so does not effect me that much,
except that it screws up my e-mail dates.

So here goes:

1.  Fire up the off-line server. Open up your portfolio. For the
issue(s) that you want to plot indicators into the future you need to
provide dummy prices and dates. There are two ways of doing this. A)
If you only want to look a couple of days in advance, you can do it
one at a time by selecting the issue and then hitting "Edit Daily".
Click on "Add". Make sure the date for tomorrow is correct (it will
always be correct unless the last day entered was a Friday or a day
before an exchange holiday). Then enter dummy prices for O,H,L,C  I
usually just re-enter the last Close for all values.  B) If you want
to plot for more than just a few days into the future it is best to
create an ASCII file of the dummy dates and prices and then import
them into your portfolio via "Import Daily"

2.  Advance your system clock to include the days that you want to
plot for. I usually just advance it by a full month so that it's
easier to revert back to the correct date if needed.

This technique will also work on intraday charts, but I don't know of
a way to import tick data into TS.  What I do is to simply create an
ASCII file from known data and then attach the dummy dates and prices.
I then create a chart directly from the ASCII file and plot my
indicators on that.

By the way, this technique of modifying your system clock also works
if you want to replay intraday data in real time. Simply set your
system clock BACK to the date and time that you want to replay and TS
will present the data as if it were happening real-time.  It might be
a good way of paper-trading for those who feel the need. This works
with time-based charts only. It will NOT work with tick charts. Your
charts will advance in whatever time interval you choose. It will not
advance tick by tick. I.E., if you're using one minute charts, it will
advance in one minute intervals. You do not see any intra-minute
activity.

Enjoy!
Bob Hunt