Re: Level II

In a message dated 98-08-28 00:29:44 EDT, Robertbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>  >>  By the time you get out of the remaining 900 shares you might
>  >>  have lost a point or more.
>  >
>  >A fast moving market has that effect on any broker. If there are no buyers
>  >(or sellers) at your price, no brokerage is going to fill you.
>  >

>  Yes, but that is not what I am talking about.  For example, with the ISLN
>  they might fill 100 and leave 900, even when the market has not moved, even
>  when the next 100 fills are at your same price.  You are required to
>  resubmit the order.  I understand that ATTN will leave your order in place
>  until your order is completely filled or the market moves, but ATTN was not
>  around a year ago when I was SOES trading.

ISLD does do partial fills, but it's your ECN and/or brokerage that's
requiring the new order, not the ECN filling your order. Orders submitted
through ISLD/Datek will not only continue to fill until it's not marketable,
but they only charge you 1 commission.

>  >>.  The
>  >> first is that if you received a partial fill, the rest of the order was
>  >> canceled and you had to resubmit the order.
>  >
>  > Not familiar with any ECN that does this.  If you receive a partial fill,
>  >the remainder of the order stays open until it is filled, canceled, or it
>  >expires.
>
>  A year ago, Island did require you to resubmit.
>
>  > If you make the market - i.e. go high offer or low bid, then you are
>  > "tipping your hand" in this sense, but this doesn't mean much anyway.
>  > Without ECN access, though, you can't even do this, and have to
>  > wait until a MM fills you.
>
>  Not true.  You can offer it directly to the MMs or to a particular MM.
>  While
>  this can be seen with the right tools, it does not change the inside market
>  and is not as obvious to other traders.

This has not been by experience with ETrade. My orders show up on Level II if
they're not immediately marketable.