RE: EZ FOOD for Locals - Close Stops ?

Trader Jack wrote:
> design it for stop and reverse, or, always in the market.  for
> daytraders such as me, and days like today, stops and profit targets
> are irrevalent due to the magnitude of the trading range.

For days like Friday, sure.  Days like that, a simple moving average
will make you a fortune.  Unfortunately for us traders, they aren't
all like that.  My question is, how do you avoid getting killed with
your stop & reverse system when the market goes into a flat trading
range?

My best-performing systems are S&R systems, but they'd do a whole
heck of a lot better if I could figure out a way to have them act a
bit more intelligently in trading ranges.  I've had some success with
having them take trades only in the direction of a larger trend.
That tends to reduce the drawdown as a percentage of net, but
typically the net profit drops drastically.  Usually you'd be a lot
better off to just always stay in the market.

Any suggestions for good ways to avoid those nasty drawdowns in flat
periods?

Thanks!
Gary