Re: System results changing at reboot?

In message <199806111853.UAA09556@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> hans wrote:
> The problem is "bouncing ticks"  - see also online help/manual

Yes, I know about the "bouncing ticks" problem but I've never really
understood it.  Let's say the manual is not extremely thorough
or clear.  :-\  The online help is better but still pretty vague.

I thought that, unless you had the "update every tick" box checked,
the system is not run until the bar closed.  At which point,
I would think, it "knows" everything about the price action
(basically just OHLC) that it would know in historical testing.

> So it might hit a stop or profit target first -

Hmm, I suppose that could be it.  That could cause different behavior
in realtime vs. backtesting.  I.e. if you're long and the previous bar
set up a "sell stop" AND an "exitlong stop", then it might have hit
the "sell" in realtime ticks but the "exitlong" in "bouncing ticks"
simulation.

> Best way around is to use as short as possible time bars, i.e. try to CHANGE
> the code of your system to run on 1min bars instead on 5min or 60min - often
> thats possible, but not allways.

Yes, I've done things like that, but it's a pain.  It also limits
your tests to 30day periods, which is often not acceptable.

> .....and its not a bug - its a "feature" <g>

Ya right.  Yet another high-quality Omega "feature."

I understand why Omega did this -- it saves a lot of time over
testing every tick when you go through a system test.  But if the
bars in the chart were constructed from tick data, then it seems
to me there's an obvious, fairly simple, and CORRECT solution:
use only the bar's OHLC until you get to a bar that hits your
signal prices.  If the bar's H/L encompass an entry/exit price,
THEN you can do the tick-by-tick analysis for that bar only.

Ohwell, supposedly TS5 fixes this and all other problems.
(And, if history is any guide, it will introduce 1000 new ones...)

Gary