RE: Perfect paper...

As a discretionary-style trader, I disagree.  What's the difference?  If
you can't make your account numbers go up you can't trade.  This is true
whether you're using a mechanical or discretionary approach.  Paper is
perfect for showing if your approach will make the numbers get larger or
smaller.  Emotions should be the same for both arenas because paper tests
your abilities just like the real thing.  Only fools believe that while
they might fail on paper, their ability would somehow magically transform
itself if only they were trading real money. I find it hard to believe that
a person's so-called gut or discretionary instincts breakdown so severely
when they're trading on paper that it renders it useless as an indicator of
how well they would really do.

If anybody can demonstrate a fallacy or shortcoming with this logic, please
speak up.

Brian.