RE: Trading Advice

I agree.  I think paper trading is extremely important because it
emphasizes the idea of process.  Successful, unemotional trading (and
that's why all of you out there use Easy Language right?) is just a
process.  It's a process of following rules.  Without money, trading
becomes a process and more like the way real trading should feel.  Real
trading is just making the numbers go up and down and so is paper trading.
 No emotion.  Either the numbers on your account balance are going up or
they are going down.  That's all you should care about and that's what
paper trading forces you to focus on.  Inexperienced traders may not feel
this way but experienced traders do.  Your goal is to keep the numbers
small to the downsize and maximize the numbers to the up side.  Until you
withdraw, that's as close as you come to the cash.  Trading is all about
numbers and shouldn't be about anything else - emotions included.  As long
as you're honest when you paper trade (never giving yourself the benefit of
the doubt on fills etc.), paper trading emulates successful trading more
closely than most realize.

Paper trading can also teach you some valuable lessons about yourself.  I
found that paper trading forced me to deal with feelings of boredom.  These
are feelings I had not expected to find and they influenced my performance
a great deal.  I grew inattentive, missed opportunities, neglected stops,
etc.  This forced me to reassess my expectations and reasons for trading.
 I decided that, for me, the rewards far outweighed the costs and so I
found ways to deal with the boredom.  These are techniques I continue to
use to this day and I'm sure I will continue to use.  Without paper
trading, I wouldn't have known about them until I was playing with precious
money.  This could have really cost me.

Brian.