Writing EL Systems

I would like to write a system based on Gann's higher swing highs / lower
swing lows technique.  I have been charting this by hand for a while but
would really like to do some major backtesting with TS to determine the best
markets to spend my time on.

Alas, I am having trouble translating the system into EL.  Can anyone offer
me some suggestions as to how I should tackle this programming task ?  I.e.
either some literature references or helpful EL tips wrt swing highs/lows
and how to apply them into a system.

Thanks

Tom Plotts
gavroche@xxxxxxx