Re: Moving Tradestation?

Al:

A coupla afterthoughts to your TS "move"

Here are some cheaper but lengthier processes as well.

Both versions of Windows have their own Direct Cable file transer
modules and attaching nul modem cables out the lpt, com1 or com2
ports will allow you do file copy out to the new PC, of course
you have to have windows fully installed on the "new" machine as
well. Over the years I have used Xtree, Norton Commander,
Pc-Tools, and of course LapLink for those kinds of chores.
Copying a whole hard-Drive's worth of stuff file by file takes a
long long time though....but it works!

Obviously if you don't do a complete system transfer and opt for
the partial copy/backup of  TS4, dont' forget that TS4 left all
kinds of hooks, and switches in *.ini and *.dat files all over
the place in both Win3.1 and Win95. Also in Win95 TS4 left whole
bunch of key and class stuff in the Win95 Registry. All of that
stuff  has to be transfered very, very carefully as well...or
else you will lose your old data....

Copying all of that stuff over to the new machine and then
re-installing TS4 over the  top MAY result in over-writing your
old data which is what you want to protect. I don't know how
"intelligent" TS4's Install module is, it may "protect" previous
data, but then again it might not.

A.) If I were doing this on my machines, with my data,

1.) Virgin installation - Install basic Win95 on new system.
Install PQmagic (Partition Magic).
2.)Lash the two machines togewther via idee cables in a
master/slave config.
3.) Load PQmagic do a complete Pation Level Copy from the old
System to the New system.
4.) 10/15 mins later a perfect replica of the original system on
the "new" hard-dive.
5.) Remove old Harddrive and reboot Win95 two or three times so
it can find all the new PC's system BIOS Hooks & Switches.

B.) New Pc already has "stuff" on it I want to keep/save.

1.) I'd go the "CleanSweep"/"Norton Uninstaller"
backup/archive/move option and then "restore" it all on the new
system. Those programs will copy and restore all the relevant
info, hooks, bells, switches, *.inis, *.dats, *.dlls, keys and
classes to Win95  and its registry. So Run "CleanSweep"/"Norton
Uninstaller" backup/archive/move and save to a compressed file.

2.) Copy File to Zip/Tape/ etc. ot Direct Cable or LAN/WAN to New
PC.

3.) Install "CleanSweep"/"Norton Uninstaller" on new PC

4.) Run "CleanSweep"/"Norton Uninstaller" in Restore mode &
restore TS4 to your system.

5.) Move the Dongle and reboot Win95  a coupla times to make sure
it finds all the TS4 config.sys, autoexec.bat, ini, dat, and
registry key & class statements.

Voila!

Good Luck!

Tony Parker