RE: Data Transfer

For those of you who are having problems
with TS4.0 Server GPF's in the morning:

Recently, I have sent several messages bemoaning the GPF's I got in
Tradestation (builds 19-21) under Win95.  The problem was with the TS4.0
Sever GPFing in the wee morning hours.  Because it GPF'd, it would stop
collecting data for a few hours (until I came in in the morning) which
distorted the tick data file and made trading all but impossible for the
day.

There was a pattern.  It happened only in the morning hours (while I
slept), only on weekdays when the market was open, and approximately every
other day.  The problem would go away for a few days when I deleted certain
temporary data files that Downloader and TS use.  However, this was a royal
pain and a step that I felt was unecesarry.

The only work around when this would happen was to cold boot the machine
(turn off and on).

Thankfully, I have found a solution to the problem.  I installed NT4.0
(service pack 3) on my machine, wiping out Win95.  When I first loaded it,
I choose the FAT16 file format which is the same or similar one to the file
system in Win95.  At first I thought I had fixed the problem because I did
not get a GPF for a few days.  However on the thrid day, I was surprised to
wake up in the morning and see that the Server had GPF'd in NT.  I couldn
hardly believe it, same results.

So I reloaded NT with NTFS and so far the problems have magically
dissppeared. I've had my machine on for 4 days now without a problem.   My
trading boxes seem as "stable as it ever was."  This lends creednce to the
theory that the temporary files the server writes to were getting corrupted
in Win95.  Under NTFS, the files don't get corrputed.

Finally, I can leave my machine running for long periods (2-3 weeks)
knowing that I'm most likely not missing a tick.  Man, that's peace of
mind!

Thanks,
Brian.