RE: Stocks - the shame of it

Oh yeah, a perfect example of one those real nice stock option screw jobs
is Texas Insturments on the CBOE.  For a moderately priced option in the
$6-7 range, the bid-ask regulary has a 1/2 - 3/4 spread.  Unbelievable!
 You'd be hard pressed to even trade that on a positioned short term basis!

One way to get around this problem is by placing a limit order between the
spread.  So for instance if the market was 6 1/4-7, I'd place my order to
buy at 6 3/8-1/2 or so. If there are several orders between the spread,
market makers will fill you to clean out the range.  But I've found the
success of this strategy can vary with brokers.  Some will get the
execution others will not.  Any ideas as to why?

This also works well for NASDAQ stocks.

Brian.

PS. Where do you get direct line access to the pit for < $15 RT?