Ok, educate me...

Hi there, kindred Fans of The Code and systems folks in general...

Ok, by now most of you know I know little or nothing about systems
trading. But all these postings of 'worded' code by The Code has
filled my head with questions. And of course, the recent example that
someone posted about vendors embedding code to change the output of
their system over a trial period to boost their returns got my
attention. So this evening, I was driving home from dinner and a
thought hit me:

Ok, I go nuts and run out and buy a copy or one of those canned
systems that's coded for Tradestation. We've all gotten the mailings
or seen them in the magazines. There's CatScan and Abberation and
World of Ages[?] and...well, I remembered three, I think that's
enough.

Ok, so I get the little file. And now that I've read the post about
the vendors masking the true system performance, I'm a very nervous
consumer. So I want to know how to test this new toy. How do you test
a system, say a break-out system or something, that is used on a
portfolio of commodities and then trades on the given active months in
those markets? I couldn't very well trust the vendor's word after
reading what I've read here.

No, I'm not going to run out and buy a system. But is there a way
people with Tradestation or SuperCharts can test these systems if they
buy them? [Actually, I suppose it's the same question if you developed
your own system, but that's at least a step past evaluated a
pre-written system...one leap at a time for me, please].

Tim Morge