Re: Real Trading Experience about John G. by Bob Kodama

  • To: Andy <adle@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Real Trading Experience about John G. by Bob Kodama
  • From: Timothy Morge <tmorge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 08:39:59 -0800 (PST)

Andy wrote:

> In reply, I think that anyone who survives or thrive trading between Jan,
> 1994-Dec 1994
> and Aug,1997-Jan1998 will survive or thrive during down periods. IMO, these
> periods can be consider "bear" market conditions in a secular bull market.
> Also, if you look on the daily charts and compare the 2 periods, you can
> see a similar pattern bewtween the 2.  Please keep in mind that an interest
> rate hike in Jan 1994 and the asian crisis "knock" the bull from its run
> for these periods of time.

Andy:

I would disagree. I am not speaking of a brief correction in a bull
market. I am speaking of a significant bear market. Stocks in the US
have not had a significant bear market while I have been trading[1980
to the present]. I mean a long down-trend. And rate hikes...well, I
was a researcher for a large commodity trader while in college. That's
when interest rates were on their way up to 21+ percent. By a
long-term trend, I don't mean a rate hike here or there...I mean a
long-term trend[I did begin the discussion on the bond markets by
saying its trend was not as clear as the stock market's trend over the
past 18+ years].