Re: T-Port vs. TurboExpress Port 920 -- Which is better?

JMB wrote:

> Given the fact that T-Port cards are no longer being produced, I am
> forced to look for an alternative....
>
> I checked out the TurboExpress Port 920 @ http://www.turbocom.com/ ,
> and there is no doubt that the price is right @ $80, and the ability
> to handle "speeds up to 921.6 Kbaud" with its 16750 UART chip is more
> than adequate!
>
> >The only questions are:
>
> 1)  The TurboExpress Port 920's 16750 UART has a 64k buffer compared
> to a 16k buffer on the 16550 UART....
> HOW BIG IS THE BUFFER ON THE T-PORT CARD??
>
> 2)  Besides the ability to handle higher input speeds & more buffer
> space, what else, if anything makes a T-PORT card so "special?"
>
> 3)  Is the TurboExpress Port 920, an adequate alternative to a T-Port
> card?
>
> I'd like to thank anyone who can help me with this issue in
> advance.... THANKS!
>
> JMB

 I have used both ports, and I switched to Turboport and threw away my
T-Port card mid-year last year. Besides a much faster chip, the software
supplied with the card can control all your comm ports and works
seamlessly within Win95. You can create virtual ports, or to say it
correct, you can share IRQ's. The card is plug and play, the chip has a
64K buffer and the clock UART clock is eight times faster than the clock
in the T-Port card. Once I installed this card and the software, I quit
having overflow problems, and I run two programs off split BMI feeds in
one computer [I use the TurboPort card with two ports in it]. I can't
tell you all the specs you asked, but I can tell you I have used both and
the difference was obvious immediately. And last, the technical service
people are wonderful. If you have any questions, email them or call them.
They answer you.

Timothy Morge