Re : The cost of excellent support and service (long)

Dans un courrier daté du 22/01/98 20:51:28  , Gerrit Jacobsen écrit :

(snip)

<<
 Furthermore I think that Omega concentrates their efforts in the
 wrong areas. The TS5 product is apparently ready apart from the
 server part. Telerate users already "enjoy" that version because
 their version uses the Telerate server - which is not good.
 It is uncomprehensible to me why Omega wastes their time
 to write a server when there are already so many good servers on the
 market which can be licenced from third parties. Omega tries to
 reinvent the wheel.

You are right about the Telerate Server.
This is easier for Omega to do this, but the price to pay is a TS limitation
(prevailing with all "Omega Server Gateway solutions").
What they sell in fact is TS Chart and Power Editor to Telerate.
There are not so much good servers on the market and at least not
when they developed TS4.
Parts of the Server use other third party components, and I think that
they still want to keep their control on the server (in this sense they are
right).
100% Omega servers have been always the more reliable (I use S&P since 1992)

<<
 In general any company should concentrate their efforts where it
 strengths are - unless you have got so much money like microsoft
 that you need to diversify. In Omega's case this strength would be
 the Easy Language engine and the graphics surface. However major
 improvements here must still be seen. For example Omega could
 improve their language easily by getting proper array and matrix
 functions incorporated. They could improve the graphics engine by
 offering 3D or other custom charting tools (XY, scatter, plotting
 into the future etc.). However very little is happening in this
 respect. Quite the opposite: they diversify and develop products
 like Optionstation which are offered to their customers half-cooked.

A lot of EL improvements are scheduled for TS 5 versions, graphics too.
I can't tell more, but they should meet your needs.
Please be patient.

<<
 Omega has been extremely lucky tha
st emulated the EL parsing engine.

I think so, and this is the target of the WOW Pro.
I hope that they will not succeed in it.
There are few chance to build a 100% EL compatible parser
 without the Omega internal documents.
Maybe there is a copyright problem to solve, but I'm not sure.

<<
 As Bill Cruz's bank accounts are apparently well filled after the IPO
 there is a certain danger that he hasn't got enough incentives to really get
the
 job done there. (I hope I am wrong)

You are wrong, I think.
Bill Cruz do what he does FIRST because he likes it.
He has had other occasions to get more money and  however stay
with his company.

 Pierre Orphelin
 www.sirtrade.com