Re: T Bills correlated with Bonds?

I also like to follow the US treasury market as an indicator. I use the 30
year benchmark Long Bond. Here, in the UK, we get a lot of useful real-time
data broadcast on the SKY news TV channel from the Astra satellite. The 30
year Long Bond is updated every minute, 24hrs per day.

When the US Treasury issue a new 30 year bond it becomes the new Benchmark
and starts trading at 100.

I like to apply my interpretations of the theories put forward by W D Gann
to analyse the data. The price history made a significant low at 92 14/32nds
on 7th November 1994. During May 1995 the price rose through the significant
16.66% level without hesitation indicating a likely top of around 115
17/32nds, 25% from the 7th Nov low. The price duly formed a triple top in
June and early July '95 before falling back towards the 16.66% level. This
strong performance enabled the US Treasury to make a new 30 year issue in
August at a lower coupon.

The August issue failed to rally 16.66% (115) but did enable the US Treasury
to make a new issue in February 1996. This traded down to 85 in June and
July '96 almost exactly 25% from the January high (113) of the August issue
<g>.

We can now see that, as of the first week of January '98,  the price has
risen 25% from the July '96 low. Now watch carefully at this level, 106
8/32nds. If the price continues to rise the target is 113 10/32nd and the
the US Treasury will be able to make a new issue in February at a low
coupon.

Don't you think the Fed would like to issue with the lowest coupon
possible???

This has to be a good incentive to Greenspan not to rock the boat before
February!!!

Given the price and the coupon you might find the graph of the indicative
yield interesting.

Richard Parsons