Re: Real-Time Internet Feeds

  • To: Carroll Slemaker <cslemaker1@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Real-Time Internet Feeds
  • From: srqblue@xxxxxxxx (Frederick H.)
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jan 1998 13:25:59 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 01 Jan 1998 11:20:54 -0800, you wrote:

>With respect to reliability problems associated with real-time data
>fed through the internet, this should not be a problem using a
>high-speed, cable-based, continuous-connection ISP such as the
>@home network.  The main limitation right now to that approach is
>that such a service is not yet widely available.  But when it is,
>it may well be a viable alternative.
>
>Carroll Slemaker

I agree that @home (provider of high-speed cable ISP) is quite
reliable.  However I have run time checks on downloading EOD from
DialData for about 8,000 stocks via the internet and using the Omega
downloader.  My Pentium Pro 200 mhz takes about 50 minutes using the
cable modem.  My laptop 233 mhz MMX connected at 26,400 via AT&T as
the ISP is just as fast (perhaps I should say "as slow'?).

It is true that when you download files from a fast server the
notebook will take forever and the Cable Modem will do it in seconds.
>From practical experience those of us who have cable modems are now
mostly limited by the speed and accuracy of the server's connection
not by our own.

The question then becomes how much traffic can the server handle
without problems?  Will they guarantee that they will install another
router or port for every X number of customers?  A satellite
transponder is unaffected by more down links receiving it's data.
This would not be the case for an internet data source.

I love the cable modem though and won't ever give it up.

Frederick Hillier