Re: The order in which functions are processed

  • To: Omega List Posts <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: The order in which functions are processed
  • From: Doug Deming <doug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 11:25:43 -0800 (PST)

> I have a good one for you.  This, to me, is a big example of how
> completely
> non-intuitive EL & TS can be (I am not a neophyte programmer, either).
>
> I've been working with the Hashnums DLL to put some code in functions
> in order
> to visually clean up my main system.  I discovered, to my chagrin,
> that the
> order in which a function gets processed can be BACKWARDS to what you
> want and
> expect.
>
> I removed all references to Hashnums and everything else in my code
> (they were
> not the problem), and eventually I whittled it down to the essence of
> what was
> causing the problem.  Let me give the code so that its more clear what
> I'm
> saying:

The problem is that your user functions are NumericSeries rather than
NumericSimple. This is because you are referencing a previous value in
your function. When you take this out of the code, you then have a
NumericSimple function.

A NumericSeries function is calculated before the NumericSimple
functions. The user cannot control the order of NumericSeries function
execution.  NumericSimple functions are executed in the order they are
called, NumericSeries are executed "ahead" of the code.
--
Investment Engineering, Corp.-Omega Research "Solution Provider"