FW: More Bad News for Prophet Users.

Dow Jones changed its listing in the Wall Street Journal from
theoretical to actual OHLC in the past year.  They now chart actual,
but they also give the theoretical in a footnote.  Regardless, these
are cash prices for INDU.  If you use Pinnacle Data, you get the OHLC
of the DJ Futures contract.

I haven't used Prophet, by I do use Pinnacle and I am very satisfied
with their EOD service.  They are fanatical about correcting errors in
their data and they are easily reached for data corrections you find
or to correct problems with software.  I've had excellent service for
over three years.

Ross Kovacs

----------

At 12:43 PM 12/16/97 -0500, Craig Nelson wrote:

>I received the response below from Prophet in regards to why
Prophet's INDU
>cash prices differed from Bloomberg's data.  Can you believe the BS
answer
>I got?!   I can't believe these guys actually do business!  Only God
knows
>what other data problems they have.
>
>Regards,
>Craig
> Forwarded by Craig Nelson/NY/SBCM on 12/16/97 12:37
>PM ---------------------------

>BetterData@xxxxxxx on 12/16/97 12:19:29 PM
>
>To:   Craig Nelson/NY/SBCM
>cc:
>Subject:  Re: Cash Index
>>  Also, I found major diffs between your
>>  data and Bloomberg's for *INDU, on the High, Low, and Open; the
Close
>was
>>  OK.  Some diffs were as much as 20 points or so.  Can I ask why
this
>would
>>  happen?  Do you check your data against a second source to verify
>accuracy?
>The prices we get show the theoretical highs and lows for these
indices;
>Bloomberg probably gets the actuals highs and lows. So typically our
ranges
>will be greater.
>>>small snip
>
>- Tim

Don't be TOO shocked Craig, but even infamous NASDAQ-listed DBC Signal
uses
'theoretical' OHL numbers on the DOW, which often differ widely from
the
actual numbers, whilst their counterpart DBC BMI posts the 'actual'
Dow
numbers. Go figure!

For example, to illustrate my point, as I'm writing this at 10:45 PST,
DBC
Signal International Feed is reporting for the Dow: 7839.29 Open,
8059.86
High 7910.16 Low ( which believe it or not actually changed in the
ten
minutes that I was writing this and not by any material change in the
Dow
numbers I might add.)

DBC BMI reports for the Dow: 7924.34 Open, 8020.32 High and 7924.34
Low.

Signal reports a theoretical calculation while BMI reports an 'actual'
OHL.

CLOSE is 'usually' the same and often not always 'exactly' the same.

OTOH, BMI often reports erroneous 'Net' +- change in points, while the
DBC
Signal numbers on 'Net' are usually correct.  That may not sound like
a big
deal but I sometimes use those Net change numbers in quick trading
decisions, so to me it is an annoyance when they are wrong and I ask
you:
How tough could it be to program the computer software to make that
calculation correctly?

Craig Nelson said about Prophet:

>Can you believe the BS answer I got?! I can't believe these guys
actually
do >business!  Only God knows what other data problems they have.

It appears the same can possibly also be said about others in the
data
providing business.
Michael Paauwe
mpaauwe@xxxxxxxxxx