Re: Data Vendors

Jim wrote:

> Recently switched from Dial Data to Prophet Data (which is in
> Metastock format).  Futures data only along with Continuous and
> Noncontinuous contracts.  Prophet automatically sets up and updates
> any new contracts in each of the commodities.  All data is stored in
> c:\prophet\major\  then BP, BO, C, etc., etc.  and updated daily in
> these directories.
>
> The problem is how to set these up in the data downloader. Using Corn
> as an example, I can set up a "New Chart", call it Corn, go to the
> prophet directory and select Corn.  It comes up as "stock" "Chrysler"
> so I change it to Corn - CBOT Future but when I go to the month in
> Corn, it's back to "Chrysler".
>
> If I import these commodities into the downloader, how will they
> update daily?  Do I need to set up each and every commodity and all
> contract months (there are hundreds).
>
> Any help would certainly be appreciated.
>
> Jim

I use Knight Ridder end of day data.  I use their downloader which
distributes the data.  In this case, all files are distributed to
c:\krq\pro. This is where I make the choice about whether or not I want
to be selective about what data gets distributed.  I don't use the omega
downloader at all.

	 When I want a new chart in TS I click on the create chart icon in the
main program, choose the show DIRECTORY button, and then type in the
contract I want.  When I want the next month the "go forward" icon will
plop the new month in the existing chart.  I have data in other
directories (some continuous data I bought).  If it's a directory I
haven't used yet, then in the create chart dialog, I pick new directory
which gives a place to choose type of data and enter the name of the
directory.

	When you create a chart, after you put in the file name and hit plot,
you can choose SETTINGS and then UNIVERSE.  Make sure FUTURES is chosen
as the type of data.  Then click on FIND.  When I called one file up
called CC...  it thought it was Circuit City until I clicked on FUTURES
and Find, then it came up with Cocoa.  I seem to have 2 continuous files
are identified as Metastock format, and these read ok (but neither is
corn).  By going to universe I was able to change the settings (really
just the title of the graph it seems) for "Metastock LC" to CBOT corn
and back to cattle.  You can access this settings dialog by format data
if you have an existing chart.

	I don't know if this helps.   But I've been able to use endofday and 5
min historical data from several vendors this way.