Re: YEAR 2000 PROBLEM

Someone posted a message to the LIST which professed that
the Y2K issue only affected mainframes. Below is a Q&A from
a FAQ on one of the 8 gazillion websites devoted to this
issue. I have no clue as to its accuracy but, FWIW, several
other sites contain material which arrive at substantially
the same conclusion.

 There are, of course, a number of scenarios which run the
gamut from =no anomalies= to minor annoyances to disastrous
consequences. Regardless of which one unfolds a couple of
years hence, it is only prudent to be prepared for the
worst. IMHO, this involves testing, verification, backup
plans, and =rational discussion=. The latter is particularly
crucial at this point in time since very few of us have the
time, resources, or wherewithal to implement the former
=and= come up with something determinative. I, for one,
believe this issue is important and warrants further
discussion. For those who disagree,  I have the ultimate
solution; simply delete all messages containing the subject
Y2K, YEAR 2000, or anything substantially similar (takes
only a matter of seconds). That way you won't be wasting
your time or the time of those of us who want to discuss
this issue =and= express our concerns thereof to Omega.

Best regards,
Jim

Q. Is the year 2000 PC problem real? I thought it only
affected mainframes.

A. The year 2000 problem definitely affects PCs in similar
ways to mainframes, with the additional twist that PC users
often have no access to the original software program
(source code) to do their own fixing. This leaves them
completely reliant on the software manufacturers to provide
fixes. IMHO the PC problem is worse than the mainframe
problem: there are many more PCs in the world, and they run
so many different configurations and programs. The problem
is compounded as PC software programs are usually very good
at exchanging data, which means that year 2000 issues can be
passed from one computer to another rather like a computer
virus.