Re: [EquisMetaStock Group] JMA or PLA

  • Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 11:00:56 -0800 (PST)
  • From: Stevie No Wonder <skeeter47@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [EquisMetaStock Group] JMA or PLA

This is an except from a seminar I presented for Lind-Waldock:

Tim Tillson’s T3

Tim Tillson’s T3 formula was first published in the Technical Analysis of Stocks and Commodities in 1998. His work has been under the radar for the past eight years. I have introduced many traders to his work and I’ve found most of these traders immediately adopt these averages as a substitute for whatever averages they have used prior.

The actual formula was used in a proprietary C+ program as a test bed for filters, systems and options research. Here is the T3 (TMA) formula as it appeared in Tillson’s article:

TMA = 1.7E – .7E(E) and E(E) – EMA(EMA)

T3 = TMA(TMA(TMA))

. (See information at the bottom of this article to request Tillson’s article with more details on the formula, from Lind-Waldock)

Originally, the T3 was used as a proxy for price, or instead of an EMA in systems. Tillson’s moving average has only 30 percent as much lag as an EMA of the same length. There is nothing more important than lag when it comes to moving averages. The longer the lag, the less useful the moving average is. Moving averages, by nature, lag the underlying price. The T3 is an average that eliminates much of the lag found in typical moving averages, yet is sensitive to changes in trend. Because Tim’s T3s are very smooth and very sensitive to directional change, they allow us to structure approaches to the markets using these characteristics.

Take care,

Steve