[EquisMetaStock Group] Re: Wall Steet Journal on System trading

  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 13:57:48 -0000
  • From: "rsb_44" <rsb_44@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [EquisMetaStock Group] Re: Wall Steet Journal on System trading

This a "late to the party", but I hope still may be useful.

I repeatedly read that no one (non-interventionist) trading system works in all markets. I believe that position is based on a too narrow take on what couints as the trading system. If you add a (TA) layer that defines what "type of market" one is facing and then develop the conditions for trading that type of market, seems to me that you have a system that works in all types of markets. When one has multiple systems for a given market type, it may be the case that the "type" definition needs to be more nuanced.

I believe that in all market participation whether based on TA, fundamentals, or a combination of the two, one is ultimately faced with the same inital binary choice: take the trade or not, which after taking the trade becomes leave the trade or not.

Rather than predicting what may happen to your choice set (fundamental or technical) some time in the future, your choice set needs to correlate in some fashion with a positive future outcome.

The advantage of TA is that the data may be more public and perhaps less easily manipulated. Whether one is using TA or fundamental analysis the same thorny problem persists which indicators or economic metrics to use, and then the problem transitions to how to apply them.

After solving all that, if you make the foolish(? choice) of showing your method  to somebody no better than you are at the endeavor, you need to be able to deal with the likely event of that person showing you a bunch of hugely profitable trades that your system missed. That makes clear that before you even start the process, you have to decide what counts as a "good system". If you've done that, you have the ability to respond: So what?

For me the hardest thing to have recognized (which led to a sign over my desk:

You don't have to trade today.

I hope that the party isn't over. In any case, you wash, I'll dry. Or vice versa?

If the participation in the market went reall well, maybe we just have to put it in the dishwasher...

AS Roy Rodgers used to say:
Happy trades to you...

--- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Bob Waits <bobwaits2@xxx> wrote:

> The two major benefit individual investors have over mutual funds or
> hedge funds are: we typically have a much smaller portfolio to manage
> in $$ terms, and we don't have to worry about beating our benchmark
> every quarter. In short, we are way more nimble and we have taken care
> of half of behavioral issues just by being independent investors. Now
> if you add technical analysis or systems investing, we have taken care
> of 90% of the behavioral biases.
>
> Regarding why long only funds don't adopt this strategy, two reasons
> come to mind -- this is a high turnover strategy and most long only
> funds try and keep their annual t/o below 100%; and two, their size
> does not permit them to extract alpha out of this opportunity
>
> Regarding hedge funds: their size could be a problem; they are too
> smart to use a simple systems; and three, majority of them are
> fundamental or macro driven hedge funds.
>
> What I like about TA
> over fundamental is that in TA, you come down to a point where you have
> to decide between one or the other. In fundamental analysis, an analyst
> has to predict at least three key drivers and each of those drivers is
> dependent on at least three other drivers.
>
> Fundamental analysts say that no one can predict the direction of
> the market, but love to predict all the drivers and also the fact that
> the P/E would go up-- a bit hypocritical, IMHO.
>
> I personally have one major macro economic driver that I use
> systematically and then one fundamental factor that I use depending on
> the macro driver. This is overlayed by two systems. One is mean
> reverting and the other is momentum. I might add one more mean
> reverting and momentum in the future to diversify and if they offer low
> correlation to the other two.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: