Re: [EquisMetaStock Group] variable rules

Hi Fernando

I'm not aware of any functions that won't work with a re-used variable name. One thing you have to take care with is that you don't redefine a variable before the original definition has fulfilled its intended purpose(s). The "top to bottom" processing of any MetaStock formula makes it fairly easy to keep various definitions in the proper order. However, there's always a possibility of getting it wrong and having to go look for the problem. I spent some time chasing my tail with just this situation earlier today.

Remember that you can use a previous definition as part of a new definition. The old definition remains current until the new definition has been completed. Think of MetaStock as reading the old definition, including it in the new one, and only saving it over the top of the old definition once it has fully assembled the new definition.

When a formula has multiple outputs it's usually possible to leave each output unnamed. This effectively allows the use of more variables without using up more names from the quota of 20.

Another thing to watch out for is that a new definition can retain old data (in the N/A portion if there is one. I've seen instances where this data has had unexpected and unwanted effects on subsequent code lines. An effective way to eliminate this possibility from happening is to redefine the name to zero or some other suitable constant, thus clearing all existing data before applying the intended new definition.

There was something else that I was going to mention but it's slipped from my mind for the moment, sorry :-(

Something else that most users are not aware of is that an MS formula can only accept 40 constants in a formula. This can be overcome, although the solution is somewhat clumsy, by adding two constants together. Instead of writing "45" you could write "30+15". Accepted constants can be almost any number and are not restricted to 0-39 (or 1-41).

Regards

Roy