Re: [EquisMetaStock Group] Downloader shuts down

WOW Super, there's 15 minutes of keyboard fun!

Grin, grin, wink, wink!!!

I like mucking around on the computer and will definitely give each
of your ideas a try...after a total backup!  Please don't sit on the
edge of your seat waiting for the final verdict on the problem(s).
As you can no doubt tell, I'm a computer novice and the
aforementioned 15 minutes might be a tad optimistic.

Seriously, I really appreciate your time and thoughts.  You touched
on things I never knew existed much less thought of.

Bart

--- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, superfragalist <no_reply@xxx>
wrote:

> If the downloader runs in safe mode, then you have a driver
> incompatibility issue, a services problem or resident program
problem.

> Use system restore and roll the system back to a time period when
you
> weren't having the problem. If it fixes the problem, then something
in
> the registry changed or in the msconfig section between the restore
> date and now. You can use hijackthis to get a print out of what's
run
> hijack again after renaming the log file and you can see what was
> tell what you need to get rid of. You can get hijack free from
> majorgeeks.com. You can also use hijack to track down trojans,
virus,
> keyloggers and bogus BHO processes.
>
> If rolling the system back doesn't work, restore the current system,
> run msconfig and change what's loaded on startup until you figure
out
> which program is causing the conflict. It sounds like the conflict
is
> occuring in the RAM or in the upper video memory. You might want to
> run a RAM test also and make sure you don't have any bad RAM, which
> happens.
>
> In your version of MS, the downloader had a problem with XP SP2. If
> you have a relatively new computer that uses a chip with
> hyperthreading, you have to turn that off. You also have to turn off
> video acceleration.
>
> It could also be the auto updates if you have virus software. The
> constant updating from virus companies makes it almost impossible to
> figure out when changes occur that interfere with programs. I have
had
> that happen a few times. You have to reboot with the virus software
> turned off to figure out if that's the problem.
>
> You can also have corrupted favorites files that cause problems. MS
> uses so many systems resources you never know.
>
> It sounds like a pain to boot up in safe mode to convert data. If
you
> can get a copy of downloader 8, then that should fix the issue
also.

> It all about having fun with computers.
>

> Super
>

> --- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Bart De La Barre"
> <bartkat2@> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks Roy!
> >
> > I appreciate your suggestion of the compatibility mode change.  I
> > tried not only the "2000" but all of the others as well and nary
> > one of them worked.
> >
> > HOWEVER, a work around I did find was starting Windows XP in Safe
> > Mode With Command Prompt.  Trust me, recalling DOS commands from
> > probably 20 years ago really rattled the cobwebs.  But, it worked
> > like a charm.  So I'm going to say your idea of the "2000"
> > compatibility and mine of firing up in Safe Mode did the trick.
> > was able to convert a lot of intra day data from Excel to
Metastock
> > and am now ready to start staring at charts.
> >
> > Thanks again Roy for taking the time to respond and your
suggestion
> > of trying the Windows 2000 compatibility.
> >
> > Bart
> >

> > --- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Roy Larsen" <rlarsen@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Bart
> > >

> > > You seem to be describing a classic symptom of the DownLoader
> > and/or MetaStock running on XP without having the Compatibility
mode
> > for the EXE files set to Windows 2000. I'm surprised that this
> > problem hasn't cropped up for you before now.
> > >
> > > The Compatibility mode can be set by right-clicking a Start
Menu
> > item, a Shortcut or the EXE file and selecting Properties. Then
click
> > on the Compatibility tab, enable Compatibility mode and select
> > Windows 2000 from the drop-down menu.
> > >
> > > Hope this helps
> > >

> > > Regards
> > >
> > > Roy

and
> > then
> > >   shuts down. No files are converted, Downloader closes, and
I'm
> > left
> > >   with only the Metastock program running.
> > >
> > >   I have deleted and re-installed Metastock and Downloader
three
> > times.
> > >   I've also run CCleaner to clean out Windows Registry entries.
I'm
> > >   missing something though. After re-installing the program I
try
> > the
> > >   Downloader and when asked for the name of the file to convert
and
> > the
> > >   path to the directory for the converted data the information
is
> > pre-
> > >   filled in the request box. It looks like I've missed some
items
> > when
> > >   trying to delete Metastock and Downloader. I ran Windows
Explorer
> > >   after uninstalling and can find no bits or pieces containing
the
> > words
> > >   Equis, Metastock, or Downloader.
> > >
> > >   I'm running an old version, 7.0, of Metastock on an XP
desktop.

> > >   Has anyone had Downloader stop dead in it's tracks and then
just
> > shut
> > >   down when trying to convert data? Also, does anyone know of
some
> > >   obscure corner of a system that would contain files missed
during
> > >   uninstall? If anyone has any ideas I sure would appreciate
> > hearing
> > >   them.
> > >
> > >   Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
> > >
> > >   Bart
> > >

> > >   __________ NOD32 3526 (20081016) Information __________
> > >
> > >   This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.
> > >   http://www.eset.com

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: