[EquisMetaStock Group] Fire To count ETF indexes

Larry,

I'm sure I can't answer all of your questions, but here's some of my
experience with fire.

I often use it to create custom indexes of the stocks that make up an
ETF or a sector fund. I also use it to create custom indexes of value
line files and IBD files.

Essentially if a group of stocks is in a history file, Fire can run
all the calculations you could want on the file. It can also combine
history files into groups for calculating the external relative
strength within the groups.

The real problem is in maintaining the history files. As you know the
stocks that make up ETFs and indexes aren't always stable. The S&P
replaces stocks within their indexes frequently. So the history files
have to be updated.

Well, just like in trading there is survivorship bias. If Fire is run
on the current history file then values it creates are based on it's
current content.

If someone wants a historical breadth record of how a group of stocks
that have securities going into and out of the group at any given time
are performing, then they would have to copy the Fire calculation for
that day into a new file and store the historical breadth data
separately outside of Fire. Then as the securities are changed within
the history file, the historical values in the new separate breadth
file won't be changed by the addition or removal of stocks from an index.

I like the program. It's not the most polished piece of software but
it does what it does correctly, very fast and very well. None of the
MS plug-ins sell enough copies to make it worth doing a lot of slick
interface programming on them. In addition, Equis takes 50% of the
money so that cuts the developers piece even more.

Super