Re: [EquisMetaStock Group] Re: Make 'trustful' Peak/Trough levels

Hi Dirk

The System Tester is able to access future information in the same way that an indicator can, so the ZigZag-based functions such as Peak() and Trough() also cheat on all but the last bar of data (by looking ahead at future prices). There are uses for such unvalidated signals (peak, trough etc.), and being part of a reliable mechanical system is NOT one of them.

Unless you're using Spyros' tools there are only two ways to validate a peak or trough. One way is to measure the percentage of movement since the supposed peak/trough (which is what Spyros' tools do), and the other is to use a new tentative peak/trough as confirming the previous trough/peak.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Tester leaves a lot of bad signals". The System Tester does pretty much what you code it to do, and depending on how you set it up of course. Failed trades are usually caused by improper or inappropriate settings, not because the System Tester is somehow not working properly.

A common mistake is to allocate 100% of capital when a trade is evaluated on the setup bar, and then expecting the trade to execute on the next open when the OPEN price of the entry bar is higher than the price of the setup bar. With this situation the EST calculates the number of shares to purchase while evaluating the trade on the setup bar, and then on the entry bar it discovers that 100% of capital is insufficient to buy the calculated number of shares. No prizes for guessing what happens then - the trade is cancelled of course.

One easy way around this particular issue, and there are others, is to delay the formula in the Buy Order window with Ref("my entry",-1) and eliminate any non-coded delays (Strategic or simulation delays). This allows the EST to evaluate and execute the trade on the same bar. Another simple work-around is to double the amount of capital and only apply 50% to each trade. etc. etc.

I suggest that you download Tom Sprunger's document on the EST from the Files section and read it. That will give you some idea of EST "problems" and possible solutions.

Regards

Roy